Monday, October 18, 2010

Wonderwall

This is perhaps my favorite quote by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love:

“…I’ve come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call “The Physics of The Quest” – a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws gravity or momentum. And the rule of QuestPhysics maybe goes like this: “If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared – most of all – to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself….then truth will not be withheld from you.” Or so I’ve come to believe.”

I have had many teachers in my life, many of whose wisdom or lessons I didn't allow to penetrate my ego. There are many times I think we all choose not to face and forgive the ugly truths about ourselves and the lives that we lead.
For me, the "Wonderwall" is almost a realization of this, a moment where you look at the journey ahead of you and realize there is this huge barrier between you and a better life full of a little more love and centeredness than you have now. And as you look at the wall, you have to decide, "Do I climb over it? Or do I just turn around and walk at the base of this giant partition?"
Rest in reason. Move in passion.
Make the climb.
I am so lucky that that choice unveiled itself to me and, although I did not recognize it at the time I think it will ultimately shape how I live my life. Not just because I have looked at that one wall and scraped my way up one side and flailed down the other, but because I now have the knowledge and the courage to know that if I continue following my own little red line of life that the truth will not be withheld from me.
So for my own Wonderwall, the person who taught me this lesson for the first time and who helped me to see that I am strong enough, know that I am grateful for you. I appreciate all of the teachers I have had, some of whom are continuing to teach me. But know that I will carry you in my heart always.
Afterall, you're my Wonderwall.

MKH

"But I see in you a beauty that shall not fade away, and in the autumn of your days that beauty shall not be afraid to gaze at itself in the mirror, and it shall not be offended." - Kahlil Gibran, Jesus The Son of Man

No comments:

Post a Comment