Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Don't Make Me Go Back!




It's amazing to me how I have allowed my energies to be so diminished. I have learned a lot about focus these past 2 years and how much is necessary to succeed in the field I have chosen. HOWEVER, I have allowed this idea of dedication and attention to my craft to become my life. These people here amaze me. They are intelligent but live by the "work hard, play hard" rule.
I love the east coast mentality in many ways. I've missed it. There's a strange cultural difference between the east coast and the midwest and it has become quite apparent to me that right here, right now, I want to live in a huge city probably on one of the coasts. Boston and Washington have both stolen my heart in different ways and have satisfied my need to do something new all the time. Columbus is cool but there's the sloppy campus part and then the general vibe is one of people who are ready to settle down but still be active. I respect that but that is not where I am in my life. Right now I am young and tireless. I just want to be moving all the time, reading, learning, running.
I can't describe how refreshing this vacation has been for me. I have been around people who are not bogged down in gossip and bullshit. There are differences between people and although they vent it doesn't spread like wildfire. It isn't all they do. There is too much work to be done and too much fun to be had to let rumors and whispers take up their time. They don't talk about music all the time. They don't even talk about politics all the time. I need to find BALANCE. I cannot just live my life through music. I love it, I do. I have no regrets about the field that I've chosen to go into, but I cannot talk about it constantly. I will work hard in school, I will practice, but when I'm not around it...honestly I don't really want to talk about it, about who's doing what in the S.O.M., I want to DO something. I want to go somewhere and just have fun. I don't want to spend time with people who enjoy doing this too.
This next quarter I want to be more focused and efficient in music- I will plan and stick to a practice schedule. I need to start observing too. But I also want to start reading before bed again and maybe drawing some more. I can finally get my bike soon and get back to the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment